Hey There!

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog! Please let me know what you think by commenting on any of the posts. Hope you like it. . .

Sunday, July 3, 2011

State & Main


This is a scene from the 2000 movie State and Main. The scene shows the director (William H. Macy) and his partner (David Paymer) considering adding a product placement to their movie because they need the money. The particularly funny part of this is that the brand is a .com and the movie takes place in the 1800's. Eventually they include the brand and get their money.

My dad gets a real kick out of this plot in the movie. He is very aware of product placements, with a daughter like me he has to be! However, with all of his product placement knowledge, I can still guarantee that if you mention product placement to him, this movie will be among the first examples that he brings up.

I like this example as well because it shows that product placement is not as easy as some might assume. It is not simply throwing products into movies and television shows. Product placement is a carefully thought out process of matching the products with the target markets of the programs and integrating them in a realistic and subtle way. Adding Bazoomer.com to an 1800's movie is not what I would call a carefully considered product placement, but it does make for a funny plot line!

No comments:

Post a Comment